Armed police officers led by the Somanya District Commander DSP Isaac Otsin have stormed the Yilo Krobo constituency office of the opposition National Democratic Congress following an attack on the office by a group of irate youth suspected to be supporters of the party.
The irate youth on Saturday vandalized the office, destroyed computers, sliding glass door, cardboard and some documents at the office.
The incident happened few hours to a balloting exercise which was expected to be conducted by the constituency election committee today Saturday, January 18, 2020, for candidates contesting in the controversial parliamentary primaries which have been characterized by tension following suspicious attempts to disqualify one of the candidates Albert Nyakotey Tetteh.
The Constituency Chairman, Narh Agbo, told Starr News due to the incident, the balloting exercise has been suspended.
The irate youth who invaded the Party office are alleged to be supporters of Michael Ologo, one of the candidates.
Police in Somanya have, meanwhile, commenced investigations into the incident. Report indicates some arrest have been made.
There has been tension within the NDC in the Yilo Krobo Constituency of which hundreds of party supporters and branch executives in the constituency threatened to resign from the party should the party disqualify Mr. Albert Nyakotey Tetteh from contesting the upcoming Parliamentary election.
Two out of the three aspirants, Andrews Soda former MCE, Michael Ologo, were both cleared by the party to contest after vetting held early 2019 but Mr Nyakotey Tetteh was not cleared following a petition against him by a member of the party.
The National Chairman of NDC Samuel Ofosu Ampofo was accused of being the mastermind behind the machinations to disqualify Mr.Tetteh Nyarkotey in favour one of the aspirants- Micheal Ologo, who is Manager of his media establishments.
Some Cardres, past executives and branch executives of the party told Starr News in a subsequent meeting that the NDC risks losing the seat to NPP just as it lost Upper Manya in 2016, if the National Executives disqualifies Albert Nyakotey.
However, after many months of investigations by a special committee set up by the Election directorate of the party at the National headquarters, Mr. Albert Nyarkotey was cleared last week to contest the primaries.